
The sound of "Cheep cheep" is a constant companion now that we've brought these baby chicks home from the feed store. With the price of everything (namely eggs) going up and the economy slowing down, we decided to, in addition to our garden and all the fresh produce that provides, have our own chickens. There's no ordinance against hens in RP, so if there turns out to be a rooster in the bunch we'll send it to Thomas' dad's place to live.
I don't know what kind they are (Thomas picked them while Caelen and I checked out a bunny) but they lay brown eggs (they're not Rhode Islands). And apparently they're racist little guys so they recommend getting a few of the same type so there's no odd man out. I've already seen a yellow picking on a brown!

Caelen already knew what chicks were from her extensive reading. LOL And she says "Chck Chck" for cheep cheep. Basically if we don't hear the chicks saying cheep, we hear Caelen.
She was so excited about these little guys and she's very gentle when we hold one up for her to pet, although she did grab the down on one's head and pulled it slowly back until I stopped her. No chicks have been harmed yet. So they'll live in the computer room in a box with a light until a little coop is built and they're old enough to go outside. In the meantime the chicken smell coming from the computer room takes me directly back to

the day my Dad brought home two baby chicks as an Easter present to my sister who had lost her pipe cleaner chick, while all the other cousins and myself had our own. So to make her feel better Dad brought two real ones home for her! Of course they belonged to the whole family and after a lethal cat attack, and a few turning out to be roosters, we had our Rhodies who laid great eggs! When they were babies, Heather and I used to play with them in our doll house and I think if I were to find that doll house today, the poop stain would still be on the second story floor.

Here's Caelen carrying her Bible and mommy's Bible around the house. So cute!
No comments:
Post a Comment