Friday, January 15, 2010

He showed up with a Bang!

One month before it was due our property tax bill arrived in the mail and my heart hit the floor. We had not planned well enough or even come close enough to having money to pay the $4200 bill, and we were committed to living debt free, which meant we felt led not to acquire any more debt as we were paying the existing burden off. And since the credit cards have been cut up for months, there wasn't much turning back.
I took the bill to Thomas, holding my tears back and gave him a look, a look that says, "What in the WORLD do we do?" Then I remembered all I had been studying in God's Word about believing He is Who He says He is and can do what He says He can do and I looked at Thomas and said, "I'm not gonna cry, I'm gonna look at this as an opportunity for God to show up in a huge way." And starting that moment, God granted us the faith and the courage and we both began praying. Others prayed too, many others, to whom I am so grateful. We prayed for the money to pay the taxes and tried not to put God in a box.
Then the little miracles started happening:
*All too often I have would have the exact change in my purse for groceries I had been concerned about affording.
*Thomas found $6 tucked into his windshield wiper.
*On multiple occasions charges to us ended up being reversed or dropped for no understandable reason.
*Thomas' client gave him a monetary Thanksgiving bonus, something that has never been done in the 1o or so years he's been in construction.
*At our impromptu garage sale, God answered our prayers and multiplied our junk and the income from it.
*Twice, anonymous gifts were sent our way.

Overall the Lord provided almost $600 in one month. It was all so obviously from Him that I couldn't now doubt that He cared about us in such a tangible way or that He had my situation completely handled. There was nothing to stress about and I got to witness His glory!
But, the due date came and went. I had some concern now, let's be honest, and had kind of expected God to act by this point, while at the same time reminding myself that He doesn't do things on our timetable. So I relaxed as Dec 10 slid into Dec 11th and kept praying.
16 days went by and things stood still. Nothing out of the ordinary was happening, no more money flowing in, but He had reassured our hearts so greatly during that month, that doubt was quickly thrown out. Now we were just horribly curious as to the ending to this story, the final answer to our prayers. Were we going to be able to to look back and say, "That was it, right there, the moment when God paid our taxes."?
My friends, that moment came when a seemingly awful, inconvenient and bizarre event took place 16 days after our taxes had been due. When I stood in my street staring at my house, Thomas' truck and the damage done to that drunk drivers car and I said, "Okay Lord You don't do anything just randomly, so what's this about?" And as the police began to talk insurance with Thomas and I, it struck me, could this be it? The answer we'd been praying for. When we asked God to show up big, well, no one could deny this as being pretty big.
Today the entire front of my home has been redone and resided, we should have a new garage door in a week or two, and we are paying our property taxes (plus late fee!!!) in full hopefully as soon as next week.

"Then Jesus said, 'Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?'" - John 11:40

4 comments:

Mom said...

Brooke, I've heard this story over and over and yet every time I hear it I get goosebumps and tears in my eyes. God must be smiling.

yourdad said...

God works in truly amazing ways.

Anonymous said...

Dear Brooke, I must agree with your mom----I have tears running down my face from hearing of such joy from our Lord. He is faithful always! Praise His Name!!May He continue to bless you!!
G GrandmaG

Kimberly Ann Sigari said...

I know it's not the hormones making me cry. God is just SO GOOD! How can we NOT believe He works ALL things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to HIS purpose?!