Tuesday, December 28, 2010

On Dasher, on Dancer, on Woodrow & Vixen

Merry Christmas 3 days late!

My kids were so spoiled rotten as evidenced by the tree (this is the Christmas Eve tree, so not including Christmas morning and Christmas dinner with Thomas's family) and yet they still can't find anything to occupy themselves during the day. Well that's not entirely true, everything they want to do involves me: Pretty Pretty Princess, reading books, card games, puzzles... and if it doesn't involve me then they'll find a way to make it involve me. After playing with them all afternoon yesterday, Caelen was busy finding hidden objects in an activity book and Addison was coloring all over the cardboard playhouse so I thought, "Hmm... maybe I'll go to the bathroom to steal a couple minutes of privacy." Before I had been in there 30 seconds they were both in the bathroom staring at me. Lock the door, you say? I'd rather them calmly staring at me than banging on the door, screaming out my name, sticking little fingers under the door and asking why I shut them out.
Thomas came home and asked me how I was. I replied, "I have two midget shadows and a parasite but I'm alright."


But back to Christmas. Ever made reindeer food?? Reindeer like a combination of oatmeal or rolled oats and glitter. Pretty simple! Even a 20 month old can do it.
Then spread the food out where you expect the reindeer to land (I don't recommend the roof) and see what happens. Caelen spread it out all over the patio just before she headed to bed on Christmas Eve. Woodrow had glittery ears when he came to bed that night....

Pure bliss is your first Barbie

or finding out Santa left you just what you wanted: A Scooter! (with a special place for your Barbie to ride along)
All the present opening proved to be too much for Addison who ended up protesting by the 5th present. She didn't want to open a darn thing and she was so not impressed with the remote control My Little Pony Airplane Santa left for her. But she's taken great delight in all of her coloring books and any toy that has to do with Dora.

Thankfully my children are grateful. When Caelen opened her first gift on Christmas Eve morning (a tiny ornament with her name on it) she said it was the best present she could ask for. And Caelen is especially generous, usually wrapping up her possessions to give to her friends anytime she sees them. I often have to tell her that we won't be seeing that friend for a week or two but the gifts for that friend just keep piling up. As a parent you're always trying to balance out the materialism and entitled attitude that can develop without being a killjoy at the same time.
Christmas was a lot of fun, and if I thought there was a lot of pink this year, I haven't seen next Christmas with 3 baby girls!

No comments: