Friday, August 19, 2011

That wasn't the point.

Today God gave me the most brilliant idea. At my wits end over these two girls of mine fighting, I was desperate for a way to get through to them that this behavior was NOT okay! All of a sudden it dawned on me, I grabbed my Bible and said, "Lord, give me a verse!" I landed right on Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called [children] of God."
Sweet! I read it to them and we discussed what that meant. What does it mean to be blessed? What's a peacemaker? Do we want to be children of God or children of Satan? The girls were super excited and getting into it. So we wrote it down and stuck it on the fridge at the level of a termite on time out. I explained that they would sit and stare at this verse each time they fought.
Right off the bat Addison whacked her sister, so I set her down and had her repeat after me. I set her timer and when it was over she apologized to her sister. Happily they went off together to play in Caelen's room. Five minutes later Caelen slowly emerges from her room, shamefully walks down the hall and says, "Mom, I guess it's my turn for time out." "Oh it is?" I replied, "What did you do?" "I kicked my sister in the head. Can you help me with the verse?"

Yesterday the girls were on their ride-on toys outside. Addie had a lion and Caelen was on the bus. Caelen, thinking her sister's ride looked pretty good, rolls up to her sis and says, "Hey Addie! Where'd you get your lion washed?" Addie replied, "I don't have a lion washed."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled to see you back again and read about my darlings and their adventures. God Bless you!!!

amy said...

I am totally stealing this idea. LOVE IT!