If you ever feel like your house is falling apart around you, can I just share with you? And I write this for the future me, as much as anyone else who may happen to glace at this post.
For the past two months, that would be the day my new garage door arrived and was installed after the old one was mutilated by a drunk driver, that day my dishwasher died. So I have been doing dishes by hand while the putred water that wouldn't drain out of the bottom just sat inside my dishwasher. I was told it would be taken care of and then 2 months of life and stagnant water happened.
Well then my toilet wouldn't plunge. My husbands strong, pretty strong. He couldn't do a thing about it. So we used the other toilet, waiting for someone to call Roto Rooter. Finally I announced that I was just gonna call them (should have done this in the first place) and they came out.
The culprit: Addison. The weapon: a miniture can of bright pink playdough flushed down our toilet. Roto Rooter fixes it "for now" he says and I have him look at the dishwasher. "Oh it's probably just clogged right here" he says as he snakes a tiny connection between my dishwasher and disposal.
After a lot of embarassment over disgusting water in the bottom of my dishwasher (oh the smell!), and half a bottle of bleach poured in for a cycle, my dishwashers working again, and I should add, "for now."
Fast forward to that evening. I'm using the toilet that hadn't been the problem in the first place. I flush and water leaks out from the bottom of the toilet all over the floor. "The seal is broken" says Thomas. So we're using the original problem toilet now.
The next day THAT toilet backs up again...... then it blub blub blubs until it's filled with black sludge. I'm scared to look in the other bathroom, but I must be brave. Yep, black sludge leaked out onto the floor and my shower is completely full of, let's be honest" raw sewage." And unless we want to pay alot of money we don't have, we have to wait it out through the weekend until Monday morning. "Sounds like the can of playdough just went further down the line and now has backed up your main line. It'll take two guys going up on your roof and down through the main vent." Fine.
As I load the girls in the car to make a Raley's run (duel purpose, groceries and toilets) I notice the washing machine has leaked sludge all over my garage floor which harkens back to our first experience with Roto Rooter 6 months ago. As I ask Thomas if he could remove our dining room table leaf and my wrapping paper from the slime, I hop in the car and drive away.
Needless to say after contemplating sleeping in the living room, we opened all the windows in our bedroom and bathroom and tried not to smell the most disgusting smell that left me falling alseep praying for all the poeple in the world who live with this sewage running down the middle of their towns and roads where their children play.
In the meantime, I've been dancing as I load my dishwasher... and then realize I better place a rag under it because it's spilling out water as it runs. Thomas asks me this morning why it's there. I explain and he points out that the hardwood floor in front of the dishwasher is now buckling at the seams a good 2 feet out in front of the machine. "And we probably shouldn't run it since it unloads into the main line." Fine.
Praise the Lord we're finally having beautiful weather, we have no guests staying with us, and one of our children doesn't even use a toilet. I'm looking on the bright side here people. I asked Thomas if he thought the Lord was preparing us for missions in countries where they have no indoor plumbing. "At this point, I'd rather live there, then I woundn't have to deal with this." he says.
1 comment:
What a nightmare.
Post a Comment