Wednesday, April 28, 2010

They don't get hyperbole

Awana's meltdown happens almost every Wednesday night becuase Caelen is up 1 1/2 hours past her normal bedtime by the time we get her home and ready for bed, but tonight was extra drama. One thing after another was setting her off. Finally when I told her it was time to brush her teeth she stood her ground in the hall and said, "I'm not coming." So after some loving discipline I had her in the bathroom on the stool, toothbrush in my hand and she shoves a hand towel over her face and says she's not brushing her teeth. More discipline. Nothing. I tell her she's not riding her bike tomorrow. Nothing.
Finally I say, "Fine. We won't brush your teeth. If they fall out, don't cry to me." Then she bursts into a slinky fit (the one where you can't pick them up because they're slinking to the floor) screaming that she wants to brush her teeth now. I put her in bed, tell her not to get out and leave. She is screaming hysterically for 10 minutes.
She eventually braves the possible consequences and gets out of bed and hysterically sobs my name from her door. I tell her, "Baby, I told you not to get out of bed." She replies, "I know Mom but I have to tell you something." I ask what. She stands at the end of hall, the hysterical sobbing goes up another notch as she wails, "Mom if I don't brush my teeth and they fall out, I'll be a baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyy again!!!"
So this Mama had to apologize for saying something so thoughtlessly that apparently scared the crap out of her. Poor thing. After I asked her forgivness, she asked mine for "having a bad attitude." I think we ended on a positive note.

My sweet Addison is now trying to repeat all the important words that she hears and she's getting pretty good. Her new phrase is, "Help Please" which comes out Heh-Pee. She uses it very appropriately and is a lot less frustrated these days. Her four teeth are making the look of her face change, so she's talking more AND looking older.
This morning Addison was hanging out in bed with me, suddenly slid down and went into the hall. As she looked toward the kitchen she said, "A Bah!" I asked, 'Do you want a bottle?" She got so excited and we headed down the hall. I followed her to the kitchen where she went to the cupboard, pulled out an empty bottle and said, "Heh-Pee!"
She also says Baby, and even called her little face in the mirror, a baby. And she is so fun with her goofy facial expressions and gasps that she does because she knows she's hilarious. I love those girls!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I just LOVE the slinky fit!!!!!! Perfect description.