I thought I was going crazy or maybe just hearing things but I'm pretty good at interpreting my child's English and I was pretty sure of what I was hearing. Turns out I wasn't going crazy; my 19 month old was just counting to 10.
It goes like this: She was looking at all my wallet pics of family and friends and I heard what sounds like, "six, seven, four, two." I've never heard her say those words before and she was doing it as she placed each picture down. Finally I asked her in astonishment, "Are you counting?"
I said, "One...."
She smiled up at me and said, "Two."
I said, "Three"
She said, "Four."
I said, "Five"
She said, "Six."
I then asked her what comes after that and she said, "Seven."
I helped her along with "eight, nine, ten." and when we repeated it, she counted every other number all the way to a triumphant finish and a big grin with "Ten".
I'm seriously with this girl 24/7 and I've been wracking my brains to figure out how she heard these words. The only thing I can come up with is one of her Wonder Pets episodes has Moose and Zee counting the arms of an octopus. That would explain the missing nine and ten in her vocabulary.
No comments:
Post a Comment