Friday, January 28, 2011

Boobie and her little brother Zac

Today as we were reading a Rosemary Wells book before bed, Addison kept pointing to the book squealing, "Zach and Boobies! Zac and Boobies!" When I realized that Rosemary Wells is the creator of Max and Ruby, Caelen and I had a really good laugh over what Addison thought she was saying.

The following story I have shared with so many people but I just must post it for posterity. Everyone thinks Addison is just the sweetest thing, and she is, but she's got another side to her and it was perfectly demonstrated in the car on the way home from the library just a couple days ago. Caelen informed me that Addison had been looking at a particular book for a long time and she would like a turn. I was impressed that Caelen hadn't tried first yelling at her sister or whining to me, and Addie had had a long turn. So I told Addison that it was time to let her sister have a turn with the book and she could look at the new Zac and Boobie book we picked up.
Addie yelled NO!, and glaring at her sister and held the book as far away from Caelen as she could manage in her car seat. I told her again that it was time to share. She held the book out close to her window so everyone could see and looking right at me, dropped it down between her seat and car door and said, "I can't reach it."

The funny thing is I used to wonder why I only posted about Caelen. Now that Addison is so close to turning two I'm realizing that with age comes the funny stories to write about and the things you don't ever want to forget. Addison is sassy and she doesn't take me seriously at all which leaves Caelen confused and astounded. She is usually watching Addison with her mouth hanging open or a confused look on her brow and I know she's thinking, "I would never dare to do that!"

Caelen's current bad name for someone is "Big Lump". She'll use this term if, for example, someone hurt her feelings, or Woodrow slobbered on her, or someone teases her. She'll often say, "Mom, _____ is a big lump." It gives her a way to express her frustration and usually makes me have to supress a smile.

In other Caelen news, she will not be attending Kindergarten in the fall. After touring Dunham School (which I absolutely love by the way) and talking with the principal, Kindergarten teacher and other parents I came away really feeling that Caelen was to stay home one more year. I prayed hard about the decision and asked for it to be made crystal clear what we were to do, and boy was it made clear. Now the benefits are unfolding before my eyes and I'm happy we have a plan. But I will definitely be purposefully teaching her come the fall. I think of it as homeschooled preschool. And since she's in a social "preschool" setting at least 3 times a week I am not worried about that part of not sending her to actual preschool. But Caelen will get bored and needs to be challenged so I'm gonna have to be a "teacher" next year.

In baby news I have about 10 weeks left until delivery. No date is set yet but when my surgeon gets back next week my OB is going to e-mail him to set up a date so hopefully I'll have a birthday for her soon :) I CANNOT wait to meet her and to be done being pregnant!!

No comments: