Thursday, August 06, 2009

Now we're Cookin'! I mean, baking...

The story of how she came to be in this get-up goes as follows:

We spent Tuesday afternoon with Grandpa Bob and Grandma Faith while the corn was getting harvested, blanched and frozen the girls and I were just hanging around on the "farm". Apparently Bob mentioned we'd be having scalloped potatoes and ham to which Thomas replied that his wife had an amazing recipe. Long story short a few hours later I'm making dinner (was more than happy to by the way) and my chef's assistant is right there by my side.

Grandma and Grandpa made sure we were quite comfortable in the kitchen and even outfitted us with aprons (personally I'm an apron wearer. I love them, but only cute ones, of course.) I mentioned Caelen needed one her size since she literally helps me every night.

Got a call this morning from Grandma Faith who had a present for Caelen. It was this apron and hat set complete with a kid size rolling pin, wooden spoon, pot holder and glove, and a towel. Before we had driven down their dirt road on our way out she had everything on and she went into the library and yes, even Target outfitted the way you see her here. It's really needless to say she got a lot of smiles and attention. She also informed anyone who might glance her way that we were making cookies when we got home. So we did.






As staged as these photos may look, she truely did all these tasks. I assisted only in placement and making sure the cookies weren't gonna turn out to be the size of my face. Otherwise, she was on it.


We did a chocolate chip cookie batch and then some simple sugar cookies (so she could use her rolling pin pictured here near a regular sized one.)


And bless her heart, lil' mama even cleaned the counter of her own accord. I think she may turn out to be a wonderful chef or baker. Then I can say that I always knew it, cuz back in the day she loved to help me, and even before then, she's always loved food more than anything. My little Italian.

The cookies were perfection by the way. Definitely an awesome way to spend an afternoon.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome account that you wrote about Caelen's kitchen abilities!!!! It was such a thrill to "be there" and watch her. Thank you for your pictures, they mean so much to me.
GGrandmaG