It's always the mundane drudgery of life that inevitably threatens to send me over the edge. Give me a crisis, I can handle that. But it's the days were one kid has a sinus infection and gets her fingers slammed in a door by her older sibling who was disobeying, and who herself has pink eye. You have to go to work but first you have to wait for the installation guy to come install a new garage door because a drunk crashed into your old one. And as you're trying to get everyone ready for the day amidst the screams of dissatisfied toddlers, your dishwasher finally dies on you. Not to mention you're broke, your Internet won't work on one computer, but the other is so slow and filled with viruses you'd rather just throw it out the window, and the house is complete and utter chaos even though you spent the entirety of yesterday cleaning it. Oh and it's only 8:30am. And yes, that is the exact morning I am experiencing right now.
These types of things leave me unable to compartmentalize. I know that's a man's gifting, but I can do it too. That's why when I clean, I completely clean one room and then close the door. I can say to myself, "Well the rest of the house may be a disaster, but that ONE room is taken care of." When it seems every little thing is going wrong in some little annoying way, then I'm unable to use this coping mechanism. And all these things become like a swirling vortex that begin to suck me into the chaos around me. I very easily begin to focus on all the frustration, all the things that are messed up and I forget to look up. To look up out of the swirling waters and to my Ultimate Help.
"If the Lord had not been on our side... the flood would have engulfed us, the torrent would have swept over us, the raging waters would have swept us away." Psalm 124: 2-5 (NIV)
But once I look up, and get my focus off of these "momentary light afflictions" I regain my perspective. This is so temporary, sometimes as short as a few hours to as short as a lifetime, but in light of eternity, I can do anything for a little while.
"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." Romans 8:18
3 comments:
"Glory to God, Amen? Glory to God." (Beth Moore voice/accent). Oh I read your post at God's perfect timing. I feel the exact same way... and most of the time. You are not alone... I adore you. You are always such an encouragement to me. Thanks for those verses! It is exactly what I needed with my head in a fog, my hair, well- it's horrid, Austin got up at 5am and has croup, Tyler doesn't ever want to go to preschool and I just spent our last 13 dollars. "Glory to God. Stay with me here..."
xoxo Me
I just love you Adria!!
You have such great perspective Brooke. And to make you laugh, a funny kid story, courtesy of my officemate's daughter, who's 5. We just had an office BBQ that she attended.
Corra: I get to have two cookies!
Stacy: Wow!
Corra: My sister only gets one (her sister is not yet 2 years old).
Stacy: Well, you're lucky.
Corra: I bet you can have all the cookies you want because your mom isn't even here.
I love that that's her idea of adulthood; all the cookies you want. It's more fun than thinking about car insurance payments and whether it's time to start using wrinkle creme.
Hang in there, friend! You're doing great.
Post a Comment