After rescheduling 3 times we finally got her in for surgery (on her Auntie Heather's birthday!) and Lord knows I wasn't looking forward to today at all. I was most definitely looking forward to the results, but not the day, and now in hindsight, you'd have to pay me a couple million at least to do it again.
My child is the one who is always the worst case scenario. So when they say, "Oh we'll have her drink a little juice mixture that will make it easy for us to take her from you," I know that means she'll protest, spit, kick and cry hysterically while we try to force feed the meds to her, and even then you won't be able to pry her from me without a battle.
When they say, "Some kids have a hard time when they wake up from the anesthesia, they'll cry and be upset, but sometimes they wake up nicely. And she'll have an IV in when she wakes up," I know that means she'll wake up hysterical, kicking, spitting, screaming and trying to rip the IV out.
And I would be right.
I asked the nurses if she was the worst they'd ever seen, to which they laughingly replied she was definitely one of the Top 20. They loved her and told her she was beautiful and a good girl but I knew they were thinking, "That kid is crazy!"
Anyway she refused to get on the scale, she refused to get undressed, she refused the gown, or the ankle bracelet which ID-ed her. She spat out all the medicine and it took two of us holding her down to get any in. But once it started kicking in she was hilarious! She was lounging on me blowing bubbles they had given her. The nurse slipped the gown on, no protest and got the anklet on, no protest. When the nurse left the room Caelen looks at her gown and says, "I love this dress." I could help but laugh!
I carried her most the way to the ER but then the anesthesiologist took her from me and my last vision was her reaching for me over his shoulder screaming MOMMY!!! They promise me she won't remember anything.
It took about 30 min and the surgeon told me she did pretty well once she was in the room (better than their prior patient) which was the only time she did pretty well until I plunked her down in front of Toot & Puddle on the TV here at home. He said the adenoids were pretty big and it was good to get them outta there. I waited another 10 until they came to get me because she was waking up. Well you didn't have to tell me which room she was in because I could hear the hysterics. The poor nurse was holding her, but they quickly got me settled in a big chair to hold her. As soon as she knew anything, she was tearing at the IV demanding it come out. She was arching her back and slapping, kicking, screaming for a good half an hour.
We finally took it out, put her clothes on and got her out of there mostly because I think the nurses were tired. :)
She had a droopy eye and looked dazed, cried most of the way home just because that's her little personality. But as soon as we got her settled in front of the TV she's been mellow and "happy". She showed her sister all her goodies from the doctor, she's drinking plenty of fluids and even barfed up all the dried blood in her stomach. (The bauchie is almost out of the dryer). She can walk without weaving too much and she's pretty zoned out but I can't wait to listen to her as the day goes on, and to hear her breath tonight while she sleeps. The doctor said we should notice improvement even today.
Now as I sit here and write this I realize, I need a nap.



6 comments:
LOL!!!!!! What a day for you! You WILL need a nap!!!
I pity anyone that ever tries to mess with Caelen. Something tells me she will mostly have things her way when she grows up ! LOL
"I love this dress." That's amazing. I babysat my neighbor (4 at the time) when she was hopped up on Codeine and when I asked if she was ready for bed, she told me "I don't know who you are or what you're saying, but okay." I laugh every time I think of it. Glad the worst is over.
HAHAHAHAA Stacy, that's hilarious ;)
Glad it went well. She's lucky you took care of it. Every time I think about her adenoids I think of my brother because he still drools pretty bad to this day (I'm sure he'll love that I'm writing that here) because of his oversized and over active adenoids.
At least she won't have to worry about drooling through boring classes :)
so glad it's over! i know how it feels to let them carry your little one away like that. sounds like you had the exact same doctors and nurses we had for penn's thing last year (which was MUCH less invasive than this, but he still reacted pretty much the same as caelen!) his drugged-up final words to me were, "hey mama."
and they basically eventually ASKED us to leave afterwards (after staring bemusedly for quite some time at the boy who wouldn't stop screaming!) cause he was upsetting all the other kids in the recovery room!
anyway. so dan has a big work thing he needs to finish sunday night - boo! - and we're wondering if you want a rain check on dinner? we totally wanna do fondue (FUNdue) at some point, so let me know if there's a sat or sun eve coming up when you guys wanna hang out! i realize i could've emailed this or something, but here i was on the blog...so...there you go. :)
Post a Comment