Saturday, November 01, 2008

I can only narrate because I have no words.

So I'm in my bedroom folding laundry while Caelen takes a nap. It's a wonderful fall afternoon and the rain is pouring down. I personally love rain, especially the first rains of the season. They're so fresh and cool and I love the smell and sound. So I have my blinds open and my window cracked and that's the only sound I hear.
I look out the window half way through my pile of laundry and my neighbor across the street (whom I've never met and rarely see) is outside. She's probably in her mid 50's, a small woman who enjoys her yard work and only ventures out of the house for this task. She is in black flip flops, red peddle pushers and.... a pure white T-shirt. She is soaked from head to toe.
This woman has the garden hose and is (I can't make this up people) spraying the sidewalk down. She's acting as if the rain is a nusiance but she's not going to let it stop her. So hunkered down she finally puts the hose away and gets a shovel. She begins re-potting a plant right there on the sidewalk. My jaw is gaping open and I almost don't continue to do my laundry. Once she's repotted the plant she gets a broom and sweeps off the side walk she had just hosed down!! All in all this operation takes about 15 minutes and like I said, it's pouring.

Now the best part of this story (again, I can't make this up, I'm just not that good) is that every sunny afternoon that she does these same kinds of chores, she holds an umbrella over her head.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just LOVE reading your blogs, Brooke!!I can picture so well the "wrasslin' " with Caelen and the neighbor across the street who is an enigma. Brings light to my days. Perhaps you will go on to be a "Nora Roberts", with your picturesque speech. Keep it up!!
Grandma G

Melissa said...

That is super funny!

Anonymous said...

I was howling with laughter as I read the final clincher! No,, you couldn't make this up! Who could?

Anonymous said...

My mother makes a very good point. You definitely have a gift to write and to paint pictures with words. Perhaps you should do more of it. At any rate, we all enjoy it very much. Thanks for brightening our days and sharing your life.

Brooke said...

I'm so glad you guys enjoy it! ;) I could never be a great author like Heather has the potential to be, but maybe the bug is drifting in the family & allows me to string together a few sentences LOL